Monday 17 November 2008

Appearances are not everything...


Maybe it is the slight flu I have, but, it all seems like a big subliminal ad for Missoni...all those zigs and zags in different slightly off-putting hues in the market charts have danced before my weary eyes as I lay in bed concentrating on not sleeping.  Last night I was busy with that, and, wondering what son number one would wear to the cricket birthday party today at the Oval since his white trousers hadn't been mended yet and it was cold, too cold and he is catching a cold...

Cricket is one of those sports that has "Laws" for its governing principles.  Not statements of intent or general pr like the g-20 statement - no - cricket has laws.  I don't mean to say that is a good thing or a bad thing but rather that it is an unusual thing - it has a governing structure outside of the norm which is generally found in sport....And it has lovely outfits unlike my Son's new state school uniform which seems more suited to PE than everyday wear.  "Dear Sirs, I am writing to let you know that ____ will not be returning to your school after the half-term..."...I can still picture him in his lovely blazer and ugly tie, shorts and tall socks... 

But - appearances are not everything.  And that is the consensus on the G-20 - the issued statement and utterances by the leaders gave an appearance of unity...just an appearance. Which should work in the old reality, but, the new reality demands concrete things - and fast.  But let's call it a preamble and a good start in establishing "The Spirit of the Game"...

No comments: