Monday 22 June 2009

The High Low...

It was father's day yesterday and the children were filled with exuberance.  On Friday we went shopping for a gift.  The eight year old picked out a rather expensive Paul Smith shirt.  I explained the price was a bit much even for such a great Dad.  We kept looking.  The little one picked out a fairly ridiculous teal coloured neck scarf.  I asked him why he thought Dad might like it and he said "This would really set him apart".  Sure would.  After a bit of looking, the saleswoman sidled up to us and whispered some magic words.  The shop was having a Secret Sale.  Starting right now.  We promptly went back to the handsome overpriced shirt and had it wrapped up.  I threw in a blouse for myself and home we went.

Dad loved the shirt and the handmade cards.  "I love Dad because he has a key to the park" was written inside one.  Sweet.  We went off to lunch on the roof of Boundary and managed to get a nice table in the sun.  Afterward, we went to the Whitechapel Gallery to see the Isa Genzken exhibition.  I've always been a fan, but, this exhibition was not as fantastic as I had wanted it to be.  I think it was the location.  The new Whitechapel is lovingly architected and a cool thing.  But Genzken's work works better in the old school architecture of Hauser and Wirth.  Her art is made from the detritus of city life...and there is just too much of that in the neighborhood of Whitechapel.  The lack of dichotomy sunk the work a bit.  Humble materials need a bit of lux around them to work correctly.  At least for me.

That was our aesthetics & economics lesson for Father's Day.  On the same note, the father's day shirt works the high/low really well with a low-fi lumberjack plaid woven into a lovely linen....

No comments: