Wednesday 19 November 2008

Things that ooze goodness....


A few weeks ago the posh mums descended upon Sainsbury's to buy half-price toys for the children.  I missed the scrum, but, wandered in a week or so later and bought up a bunch of things to have on hand for the endless birthday parties held in exotic locales, like cricket grounds, pirate ships, and theatres to name a few of the venues on offer this month.  My children's favorite parties thus far have been the one held under-a-tree-in-the-park-in-the-pouring-rain-with-fish-and-chips, and the other in a house where the mum was in charge of some nice old-fashioned games.  It is not really economics or themes or activities that dictate what my children like - I think it is the opportunity to freely play and express themselves rather than being bossed about by a clown.  But all children are different. And I myself would sooner hire a boatful of people in charge than take charge myself as children still often terrify me.  But off topic I stray again - get back in the car, we are going to Sainsbury's....

In a small section of the pink paper today it says that Lord Sainsbury is donating 82m for plant research to a lab at Cambridge.  120 Scientists and some plants collected by Darwin will be found in the new lab.   My toy purchases are now legitimized - almost every tangent radiating from the above sentence oozes goodness.  Gosh - the plastic they were all made from must be almost classified organic with that announcement!

Jokes aside, it is lovely to read of charity in the midst of this mess.  

No comments: