Friday 17 July 2009

The Swine Thing...

The swine thing is having a moment again here in Dulwich.  Three different playmates of my children have families sitting about infected to varying degrees with the flu.  A mum with the flu phoned me last evening and asked if we could meet up as she had some money to pass on for the teacher's end-of-year present.  No no and no!  Stay home.  Or send an envelope through my front door that I can quarantine for a few days.  Laugh if you must, but, being asthmatic, I think my aversion is justified.

Behind the scenes, the Flu thing is being approached with a bit more proactive precaution by various businesses in London.  Like - how will the firm cope if a large number of workers are telecommuting?  The BBC reports that BT feels confident it can handle any surge in home broadband demand.  BT customers might argue with that point-of-view.  At another global company, the employees have been issued masks and have gone through several strategy meetings with key staff.

Missmc is the only person left in the world besides large corporations worried about the flu.  Missmc has an immune system that goes a bit mental with any germ or allergen that comes by.  It is overactive and produces great vials of mucous and fights things to the extent that the battle floods the body with so many weapons that the weapons of slime bring down the body.  An ordinary cold can slide into pneumonia at the slightest tease.  At the moment, I am sitting here with a giant migraine as so much snot is sitting in my right cheekbone.  Personally, I've lived with this all my life so it does not seem out of the ordinary.  Asthma is an autoimmune disease.  It means the body does not understand when its defenses are self-destructive.  So - my perspective on the flu thing is going to be very different to the shrug of the shoulders most people are adopting...

So.  Mostly-I-am-trying-not-to-worry, but, every now and then, I think....oh dear....


No comments: