Wednesday 7 January 2009

Things that move, transform, twist, and disappear...

The spectacle of the stage, with things that move, transform, twist, and disappear under bright lights was a real treat for son number one last night.  We went to see an amazing performance of Edward Scissorhands - the Ballet version by Matthew Bourne.  After the performance, we drove home through London, past Woolworths, Marks & Spencer, through the City...

The drive was just as surreal as the stage we had left -- the final curtain was down on so many of these businesses we drove by - these things would soon be gone.  Son number 1 asked for some cheerful music on the radio - he said the music from the ballet had made him sad at the end.  All I could find were the Ting Tings singing "That's not my Name"....

Waterford/Wedgewood is one of those Names that has been taken down this week by the Situation.  Wedgewood had almost disappeared before,  a few years ago.  I think it is a name that means more to Americans than the British, but, I could be wrong.  None-the-less, Wedgewood is one of those things that will more than likely be reincarnated.  I can think of a number of designers that could work wonders for updating the Wedgewood name.  No doubt, someone will.

The performance we saw last night was a remake of a modern classic.  It worked incredibly well.  Some more of that will slowly but surely be happening later with resurrecting the things-that-used-to-surround-us.  In fact, I can see a cornucopia of ideas for my next post tumbling before my very eyes....

No comments: